The Importance Of Proper Lighting
- Dining Room
- Outdoor space
Types of Light Fixtures:
- Ambient Lighting – This is the natural light from the outdoors.
- Chandeliers – These are ornate fixtures that are suspended from the ceiling and have multiple lightbulbs in the fixture. Dining rooms and entryways are common locations.
- Lamps – These portable lights are plugged into electrical outlets and placed on desks, tables, nightstands, and other furniture.
- Pendant Lights – Similar to chandeliers, these single bulb fixtures are suspended from the ceiling by a cord, cable, or chain. They are most common in kitchens.
- Recessed Lighting – These lights illuminate a specific area or highlight certain room features.
- Surface Lights – These lights are mounted to the ceiling surface and frequently used in entryways, hallways, garages, and bedrooms.
- Task Lighting – Task lighting is often used for specific tasks or activities in work areas. This can be lights over a desk, stove, or shop bench.
- Track Lighting – Track lighting comprises several small fixtures positioned in multiple directions to highlight areas or objects of interest, such as artwork.
Other Lighting Items
- Dimmer Switches – These light switches adjust the amount of light from a fixture. These switches are made for specific lighting types and the number of switches in the circuit. You should have that information when purchasing a dimmer switch.
- Motion Sensors – These switches automatically turn on lights when they sense movement.
- Timer Switches – These switches use a timer to regulate how long the light is on.
- Smart Home Lighting – This feature controls your home’s lighting with a voice assistant like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant or an app on your smartphone or tablet.
Outdoor and Landscape Lighting
Outdoor lighting is essential for home security. It can also add ambiance to your pathways, gardens and garden features. It can help improve the safety and security of your home and the curb appeal and tranquillity of your backyard escape.
Light Emitting Diode (LED) lighting is the lighting of today and for the foreseeable future. There are now a wide variety of LED Lighting applications, including light bulbs and light fixtures for the home, low-voltage lighting for your landscape, security lights around your home, and colour-changing party or mood lights.
LED light has revolutionized the UV industry. The price of LED lights has become very reasonable over the past decade because of the significant advantages over incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, and other lighting types. The development of ultraviolet LEDs has dramatically impacted the lighting industry. UVs help kill viruses and bacteria (including SARS and Coronavirus). UV is used in many environments, including stores and hospitals, with the new trend of UV mounted in your HVAC ductwork.
Consumers everywhere are converting to LED lighting because they:
- Save energy (70-90% savings from incandescent lighting)
- Lasts much longer (up to 100,000 hours)
- Better overall lighting
- Are available for all lighting applications
- A variety of colour-changing lights
- No delay, these lights turn on instantly
- Improved productivity
- Adjustable colour temperature from red to daylight, white to blue
- Healthier brains
- Better sleep
- Improved concentration & energy
- Reduced stress & anxiety
- Increased motivation
Why Blue Collar Electric?
We provide CSA (Canadian Standards Association), ETL (Electrical Testing Laboratories), and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) rated products to ensure the safety of your home or business. Our licensed professionals are among the most trusted electrical contractors in Canada. Our team has been committed to the highest safety, quality, and efficiency standards for over 16 years. We take pride in delivering the best electrical solutions to your home and business and proudly serve Edmonton, Alberta, Montreal, Quebec, and the surrounding areas.